There are various common "mindset traps" that doom press launches by lawtechs, stopping them getting the invaluable publicity in the legal trade press that helps so much with credibility in the UK's legal sector.
These mindset traps, which lead to failed launches, include:
- "New is good". So many B2B tech firms go down the path of talking about new features and technology, but in the legal world when you say "new" your potential customers hear "unproven", "buggy" and "risky". What they invariably really want is safe, reliable and well-proven... the very opposite of new.
- Falling into the trap of thinking that that just because your launch or upgrade is a big deal for your company, it will be a big deal for the legal sector.
- "We are the next big thing". Maybe you are and there is nothing wrong with ambition, but this claim is regularly made to journalists, and they are very aware that most of those who made it in the past have since disappeared.
- Thinking journalists will be interested in your software's features and menus. When was the last time you read a press story about this?
- Believing "using tech jargon shows we are experts".
- Talking big, but being stuck in start-up mode or economy mode and actually looking really small.
These and many other issues will be tackled in our forthcoming webinar "Ensuring your lawtech stands out in the legal market".
It will particularly be focusing on two key areas for gaining credibility and coverage: the legal trade press and the legal sector awards.. and what you need to know about both for success in 2020.