Sadly all the research on training effectiveness indicates that much training has little impact.
Generally this is not a reflection on the quality of the training. It reflects the difficulty of people applying the lessons learned when they are "back in the office".
If you listened to our recent webinar on "Getting the maximum impact from your management consultancy's thought leadership" then the same will apply.
Here are important steps for making sure the webinar delivers huge value and wasn't simply a pleasant hour in my company!
- Start a project to work with colleagues to create a succinct and practical definition for "what is thought leadership" for your consultancy. We covered the importance of this on the webinar. If you only do one thing from the webinar... do this!
- If you are doing little thought leadership at the moment, start to build up your "thought leadership muscles" with blogs, articles and discussion dinners. Create a timetable and plan for these.
- Assign an intern to review what your competitors are doing and create a report for you.
- If you have an initiative in the pipeline, start right away creating a full plan for exploiting this. Make sure you involve a range of stakeholders in this, ideally with a workshop.
- Put a note if your diary to revisit the webinar once you have done these to see further actions from the webinar you need to apply. You may also want to get the Thought Leadership Manual which has plenty more advice on getting the most from such initiatives.